Serial Commands for TelemetryTV
Programmatic Serial commands are available through the TelemetryTV Player app on ChromeOS. These commands can be configured to trigger hardware events to your TV via USB or RS232 connections depending on the Model and Brand of your Screen. These commands can be used to schedule and trigger hardware events such as powering your display on/off, volume control, and input selection.
☝️ Coming soon: Support for serial commands on Android devices.
In order to do this you will need the following hardware:
- A ChromeOS device such as the CTL Chromebox CBx2
- Commercial or Digital Signage Display with RS-232/Serial capabilities.
- An RS232 to USB cable - or another a compatible adapter for your display model.
Establishing your Serial Port in TelemetryTV
- Select your ChromeOS device in your devices page
- Toggle ‘Enable Serial Port Connection’
- Select your Serial Port (usually designated USB0 or USB1 etc)
Configuring your Serial Connection
The following fields can be configured for your Serial Port Connection once established:
An application-defined string to associate with the connection.
Enable Serial Command
Enable Serial Command feature for this device.
Define commands you want to send to the device. One command per line.
The requested bitrate of the connection to be opened. However, there is no guarantee that the device connected to the serial port will support the requested bitrate.
Flag indicating whether or not the connection should be left open when the application is suspended
CTS Flow Control
Flag indicating whether or not to enable RTS/CTS hardware flow control.
The maximum amount of time (in milliseconds) to wait for new data before raising an onReceiveError event with a 'timeout' error. If zero
The maximum amount of time (in milliseconds) to wait for a send operation to complete before calling the callback with a 'timeout' error. If zero
Serial Commands Intervals
- In this menu, we can configure the serial commands to be sent to your device. Serial Commands must be sent in HEX format. Codes are supplied by proprietary display providers.*
- Log Serial Commands enables the logging data sent and received between your player device and the Television
- Serial “Command Intervals” may be configured to allow scheduling of serial commands as follows
Sends out a serial command whenever the app has been launched
Every Minute, Hourly, Daily
Schedules recurring commands at a given start and end time (24-hour format). Start hour is inclusive
At a Specific Time
Define the specific time you want to send out the commands
* Serial Commands from Proprietary Commerical Display Providers.
🚨 Please note: Serial command support is only available on our Enterprise Plan.